This is a quick meal to make for two. I had a half-pound of frozen, peeled and deveined shrimp that needed to be used and I thought this would be just the thing to make with it. I followed a recipe that originally was from Giada De Laurentiis and I made a few substitutions. First, since I was only using a half-pound of shrimp, I needed to cut the rest of the ingredients in half. Next, I substituted angel hair pasta for the linguine because it cooks up faster. Then, since I wanted a more substantial veggie, I substituted the arugula with a mix of baby spinach and swiss chard found in the prepackaged area of the produce department. The taste was great and it was a nice, clean, light meal. All it needed was a nice glass of Sauvignon Blanc to pair with it! Enjoy!
1 lemon, 2 shallots, 2 garlic cloves, 16 oz shrimp, 3 oz arugula, 1/4 c flat-leaf parsley
Linguine with Shrimp and Lemon Oil
Prep: 10 mins • Cook: 15 mins • Total: 25 mins
For the Lemon Oil:
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil (I used 1/4 cup)
- 1 lemon, zested (I used half lemon here)
For the Pasta:
- 1 lb linguine pasta (I used 1/2 lb angel hair)
- 2 T olive oil (I used 1 T)
- 2 shallots, diced (I used 1 T Penzey’s air-dried shallots)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced (I used 1/4 t Penzey’s minced garlic)
- 16 oz frozen shrimp (I used 1/2 lb)
- 1/4 cup lemon juice (about 2 lemons) (I used one lemon)
- 1 lemon, zested (I used other half here)
- 1 t salt (I did not use)
- 1/2 t freshly ground black pepper (I used 1/4 t)
- 3 oz arugula (about 3 packed cups) (I used 3-5 oz fresh baby spinach/swiss chard mix)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley (I did not use any because my garden was frozen)
For the lemon oil:
- Combine the olive oil and the lemon zest in a small bowl and set aside.
For the pasta:
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the pasta and cook until tender, but still firm to the bite, stirring occasionally, about 8-10 minutes. Drain pasta, reserving 1 cup of the cooking liquid.
- Meanwhile, in a large, heavy skillet, warm the olive oil over medium heat. Add the shallots and garlic and cook for 2 minutes. Add the shrimp and cook until pink, about 5 minutes.
- Add the cooked linguine, lemon juice, lemon zest, salt, and pepper. Toss to combine. Turn off the heat and add the arugula and the lemon oil. Add some of the cooking water to desired consistency. Add the chopped parsley to the pasta and toss to combine. Serve immediately.