There are not many meat loaves that I like. They are either too hard or filled with ingredients that are not appetizing to me. And if you know me by now, I prefer easy and fast. So, when I found this recipe, it was changing my mind about meatloaf. This recipe is from Better Homes and Gardens, February, 2009.
You can use any type of ground meat, though I have only used ground round and ground sirloin. I am sure ground turkey or chicken would work well, but I would add some extra pasta sauce to keep it moist.
To combine the meat mixture, use your best tools…your hands! Make sure that they are super clean though!
I paired the mini meat loaves with Brussels sprouts and rice. Or, I think any veggie and a side of pasta would be tasty too. Or, two veggies if you want to go low-carb. A nice glass of Cabernet would make this more special. Salute!
1 egg, 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, 1 lb lean ground beef, 1 cup shredded mozzarella (or any shredded cheese)
Mini Meat Loaves
Prep: 10 mins • Cook: 15 mins • Total: 25 mins
- 1 egg, lightly beaten (I just add it whole in the bowl with the rest of the ingredients)
- 1 cup purchased pasta sauce, divided
- 1/2 cup fine dry bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, coarsely chopped if large
- 1 lb lean ground beef (round or sirloin)
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (4 oz)
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Line a 15 x 10 x 1-inch baking pan with foil (to save cleaning later).
- In a large bowl, combine egg, 1/2 cup of the pasta sauce, bread crumbs, and 2 T of the basil. Add beef and 1/2 cup of the cheese; mix well (I use my super clean hands to mix!).
- Divide beef mixture in four equal portions. Shape each portion in a 5-1/2 x 2-inch oval. Place on the foil-lined baking pan.
- Spoon on remaining pasta sauce and sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake 15 mins or until internal temperature registers 160 degrees F.