It’s a Friday when I get a hankering for a fish or seafood dish. Not really feeling a fish fry tonight (big here in Wisconsin), it is still hot out here, and I am hungry; I opt to cook another fast, easy, and tasty meal! This particular recipe I have made innumerable times and have pared it down to the necessities with virtually no thinking involved—well, may be a little 😉 and I share with you my streamlined version originally from Better Homes and Gardens, April 2015.
1 small or 1/2 of a large onion, 8 oz white mushrooms, 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, and 1 lemon
Prep: 15 mins • Cook: 10 mins Total: 25 mins
Yield: 4 • Calories: 438 cal
Creamy Tuna Noodle Toss
- 6 oz wide egg noodles (I have used any dry pasta that is bite sized, like orcchiette; 3/4-1 cup pasta to 2 cups water)
- 1 – 1/2 cup fresh or frozen peas (I use frozen)
- 3 T butter
- 1 small red onion, quartered and sliced
- 8 oz white mushrooms, sliced (I have added this to increase veggies to the meal)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (I use Penzey’s minced garlic)
- 1/4 t ground black pepper
- 2 T all-purpose flour
- 1 – 1/4 cup milk
- 1 – 5 oz can solid white tuna, drained (I use Kirkland brand from Costco; it comes as a 7 oz can of solid white albacore tuna, which is superior to other brands)
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 T fresh lemon juice (and I use a little zest for garnish)
- Cook noodles in a small saucepan, adding peas the last 2 minutes of cooking. Drain and return to pan.
- Meanwhile, in a large fry pan, melt butter. Add onion, mushrooms, garlic, and black pepper; cook and stir over medium heat about 3 minutes or until onion and mushrooms are just tender. Stir in flour until blended. Add milk all at once. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Remove from heat. Add tuna and 1/4 c of the cheese.
- Pour noodles and peas over tuna mixture in fry pan. Toss gently to combine. Add additional milk, 1 T at a time, until desired consistency. Season with salt if desired (I do not). Drizzle with lemon juice. Sprinkle with remaining cheese and lemon zest.
16 g fat, 89 mg chol, 614 mg sodium, 48 g carb, 4 g fiber, 25 g protein.